Skip links and keyboard navigation

Paying by instalments

If you have a debt with us and are having trouble paying the amount in full, you may be able to pay by weekly, fortnightly, 4-weekly or monthly instalments.

This instalment plan is set up directly with SPER; whereas a voluntary instalment plan is set up with the agency that issued the fine.

Instalment plan payments can be automatically deducted from your bank account, debit/credit card or eligible Centrelink payment. You can also choose to pay in person at Australia Post or at any Queensland Magistrates Court or Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office.

You can apply for an instalment plan by:

Depending on the amount you owe, you might also need to complete a financial disclosure application (PDF 660 K). If we identify any other unpaid fines or orders in your name, these will be included in your instalment plan to avoid enforcement action being taken against you.

Instalment payment options


You can send an email using our online enquiry form.


Call 1300 365 635 (or +61 7 3405 0985 if calling from overseas) Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, excluding public holidays.

Before we give you any information about your debt, you will be asked to confirm your identity.


The Registrar
GPO Box 1387

In person

Payments, enquiries and applications can be made at your nearest Magistrates Court or QGAP office.

How much and when to pay

We will determine the instalment amount based on how much you owe, and factors such as your income and expenses.

Similarly, we will consider various factors to determine how much time you have to pay, but the maximum we can allow is 3 years. You should understand all your obligations under our payment terms and conditions to avoid additional fees.

Centrelink payments

You may be able to make fortnightly payments through our Centrepay option. Return the detachable form on our reminder notice, or contact us to find out if you are eligible.

Late payments

If you are having trouble paying your instalment plan, call us at least one day before your payment is due to discuss your options.

Voluntary instalment plans for unpaid fines

If you have been issued with an infringement notice that you are unable to pay, you can enter into a voluntary instalment plan with the agency that issued the fine (e.g. the Department of Transport and Main Roads).

You can enter into a voluntary instalment plan if:

  • your fine is at least $200
  • we have not yet issued an enforcement order for this fine.

To set up a voluntary instalment plan, you can:

  • contact the agency that issued the infringement notice
  • complete and sign that section on your infringement notice, and post to the agency. You will need to include an initial payment of $60.

When this initial payment has been received, the issuing agency will register the outstanding debt with us. You will be sent a voluntary instalment payment notice and a repayment schedule to follow until the fine has been repaid to us.

This repayment schedule must be followed.

Paying voluntary instalments

Once the voluntary instalment plan is set up, you make all payments to us—not to the original issuing agency. This is because the agency has registered the debt with us to collect.

You can set up automatic payments from your credit card or bank account, or use another payment option.

Instalment fees

If you have entered into a voluntary instalment plan with the issuing agency before an enforcement order was issued, a registration fee will not apply to that debt.

However, if you miss a payment, we may apply a registration fee.

Including other debts registered with SPER

If you have a new debt that has been registered with us, you can contact us to include it in an existing instalment plan.

Last reviewed:
12 January 2017




Rate this page

Did you find this information useful?

Please provide your name and your phone number or email address if you are happy for us to contact you with any follow-up questions:

We will only use your personal details to contact you to discuss your feedback. We will not use this information for any other purpose without your consent unless authorised or required by law.